On this page:
- Eligibility and creating an account
- Storage and available services
- Accessing your mail
- Migrating your mail
- Things to consider
Eligibility and creating an account
All students are eligible to create Microsoft Imail accounts by following the appropriate instructions below:
- If you're a newly admitted student, create an Imail account using
the Starter Kit; see Getting your first computing accounts at IU
- If you're currently a student, create an Imail account by using
the Account Management Service (AMS); see Instructions for getting more computing accounts at IU
IU faculty and staff are not eligible for Imail accounts, and should continue to use existing mail services (e.g., IU Webmail or IU Exchange).
Email storage and collaboration services
An Imail account has storage of about 10 GB and allows attachments up to 20 MB per message. Additional storage and tools for collaborating are available through Office Live Workspace and Windows Live SkyDrive. For more, see the Microsoft Office Live page.
Accessing your mail
Important: When logging into Imail for the first time, you will be prompted to provide your vendor password (Windows Live ID password). This is not your Network ID passphrase; instead, your Imail vendor password is initially set to your 10-digit University ID (UID). If you cannot log in using your UID, you can reset your vendor password. For instructions, see How can I reset my Imail vendor password? Also, follow all the prompts (e.g., enter a third-part email address, set up a security question) for future password recovery.
You have several options for accessing your Imail account:
- Access your Imail account from OneStart. On the
Imail. For browser requirements, see About OneStart and web browsers.
- You also can access your account directly via the web:
Note: To use the complete set of Imail web client features, including access to mail forwarding and storage, you must use Internet Explorer 7 or later.
- Additionally, you can access your account through the vendor site:
At the vendor site, you must log in as
email@example.com you must use your vendor password instead of your IU passphrase.
- You can use an email client to read your Imail; see Information about reading your Imail or Umail email using a graphical client.
Migrating your mail
For instructions on moving mail from a Cyrus (Webmail) account to your Imail account, see At IU, how can I move my mail from Cyrus (Webmail) to another email system?
Things to consider
If you create an Imail or Umail account:
- Your full IU email address will contain
your Network ID username and your campus domain
regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email
address determines where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address,
however, will reflect the mail service you have chosen (e.g.,
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email
sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You will manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred
email address, through the Account Management Service (AMS).
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements will not appear
in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the
option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email (e.g., Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, or Outlook Live) that you already have or create in the future will remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
Important: Many students are employed in some capacity by Indiana University and use email in their employment, either to communicate with their co-workers and supervisors or to carry out their job responsibilities. Because Imail and Umail accounts are hosted by vendors external to IU, student employees may use these accounts to conduct university business only if they do not receive or transmit any sensitive data via these accounts. See Student use of email for work-related purposes.